Why IPTV is the Fastest Growing Type of TV Service
IPTV is proving to be an attractive alternative to traditional over-air, cable, and direct-to-home satellite networks for a number of reasons.
- Less Hardware: Logical packet-based switching replaces hardwired physical switches, tuners. A single DVR can stream programs to any receiver.
- Seamless Integration: Computers, TVs and telephones all use exactly the same digital technology, sharing the same packet-switched data networks.
- Interactive Services: Unlike traditional broadcast networks, the Internet is bidirectional, opening up new feedback and request capabilities
- A World of Content: Since channels are individually delivered on request rather than broadcast (either to an area or by the group), it is possible to select from potentially thousands of candidates. Want a foreign language channel in Polish or Tagalog? A special interest channel on cricket or curling? Anything and everything from anywhere can be made available to anyone and everyone at anytime.
Why Video Compression is Central to Any IPTV Project
Although building an IPTV network from end-to-end is a large and complex enterprise, involving equipment to:
- Acquire Video Signals (from satellite, cable, off-air, file-based)
- Process Video Signals (decode, convert, transrate, adjust, splice, etc.)
- Compress Video Signals (MPEG-4 H.264/AVS technology preferred)
- Distribute Video Signals (assemble, groom, encrypt, scramble, transmit)
- Receive Video Signals (decode, decrypt/unscramble, record/playback)
The goal behind IPTV is simple: To deliver high quality video to the home with less cost, more choice and greater usability than alternative network solutions. Reaching this goal, however, requires selecting the right video compression technology. Ultimately, the effectiveness of the video compression technology used determines the video quality, cost, and choice an IPTV provider achieves. Higher picture quality increases customer satisfaction with their viewing experience. Lower bit rates (for any given level of video quality) minimize the provider's bandwidth and storage costs, while, at the same time, maximizing the choices available to both providers and their customers. In short, the choice of a video encoder is the fundamental technical and business decision made in any IPTV project.
Fortunately, the right choice of encoding technology is equally simple: encoders from Telairity. Based on Telairity's exclusive hardware and software technology, Telairity encoders achieve the best picture quality at the lowest bit rates in the industry. And that's the key to a superior IPTV service.
Whether the need is one channel or many channels, Telairity offers a versatile multi-format encoding system ideal for the job. For smaller IPTV installations: the BE8700, a 1RU full-width multichannel low bitrate distribution encoder, capable of scaling from 1 to 4 channels. For larger IPTV installations: the SES3200, a high-reliability, blade-based integrated encoder/transcoder system that scales from 4 to 32 channels in a 14RU telco-grade ATCA chassis.
Whatever the project— big of small—start right by selecting what counts most: a Telairity technology encoder. The bottom line here is your bottom line: higher revenues, due to higher rates of customer acquisition and retention; lower costs, due to lower per-channel expenses.
But don't take our word for it. Put our claims to the test by requesting a trial evaluation of either of our IPTV encoders.